Friday, July 23, 2010

New Directions

Life takes you (me, at least, anyway) unexpectedly. It's always been busy busy - going to work during the day, coming home to work on jobs all night long, then going back to day job the next morning, and planning the weekend by the hour to keep up with the deadlines. Now suddenly I am out of freelance work and unemployed, for the first time in a long time.

Full stop.

Woah.

Well, now that I have all the time on my hands, I am starting on a very ambitious personal project. The picture here is a dress from Dries van Noten's fall 2010 women's collection - fully covered with different metal paillettes and hardware. I mean, "amazing" is an understatement. The amount of handwork on it is just incredible; and it has to be done by hand and not by machine.

And why should women have all the fun? That dress needs a man of matching status. I set out to look for similar metal hardware and beads, some sort of wool/silk navy/black jacquard fabric, to make a men's jacket of the same spirit.

And oh yes, with chains of course.

A sketch and samples to come soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment